These recommendations are made according to the april brewers, although they are suitable for different styles of "Drip" brewers. For example, V60, Kalita, Batch Brew or Moccamaster.
More infos on the april brewers.
• Let the roasted coffee be at least two weeks old before you brew it. This will give the coffee time to release CO2 and help you be much more consistent when you brew.
• Always measure everything:
(1) The amount of dry dose,
(2) the amount of volume of the finished brew (in grams),
(3) the amount of time it takes from start to finish.
These are all guidelines that when mastered will make your coffee taste better.
• Brewing ratios can and should differ between beans. As a general rule, we recommend a ratio of 1:17 (Ex. 14g dry dose x 17 = 238). Extraction time will differ depending on brew method. With manual brewing, we recommend anywhere between 2:20-3:00 minutes of total brew time.
• Brewing temperature is always recommended to be somewhere between 90- 96'C.
• There are good water alternatives that will ensure taste and consistency in your brews, such as Third Wave Water (packed minerals), or even bottled water.
• Our target TDS (how strong the coffee is) regarding filter coffee is 1,25 - 1,35%, although this is very much our personal preference.
the easiest way to adjust the strength of your coffee is to change the grind size, finer (stronger) and course (lighter). The grind size will also have a big impact on your total brew time. Changing your ratio is also an alternative to this.
For more detailed recipes, we recommend you check out recipes page where we detail each coffee and how to brew them.